Thursday, April 15, 2010

Chapter 8


The room was all in white. White floor, white walls and white ceilings. It was a long room. On one side of the room was a row of mirrors, much like the one she saw in the house and one which sucked her into this crazily white world!
There were twelve mirrors all in a row and on the mirror was the months of the year, starting with January and ending with December.
She lightly stepped into the room, walking past each mirror and keeping her distance from them – remember how she was sucked into the earlier mirror.
She remembered that now is the month of December. Slowly she passed each month, relieved that nothing bad or strange happened.
“Ahhhhh—the December mirror.” she said to herself.
As she was in front of the December mirror, she nearly died of shock as the brown sweater became heavy and it actually ‘jumped’ off her instead of ‘dropping’.
To her horrors, what used to be a brown scarf, is now a brown wolf!
How could this happen? She asked herself! I thought I have seen everything in this place – but this? She wondered, more in amazement, than anything else.
The creature stood in front of Lessie. Shaking its body as if drying itself, the wolf looked at Lessie, with eyes wide opened, showing sharp teeth and saliva dripping from the sides of its mouth.
Lessie could not believe her eyes, but she knew she must do something or the wolf might attack her or even eat her up!
In a nice soft pleading voice, she appealed to the brown wolf,
“Sir, please don’t eat me up please! I will do anything for you. If you need it, I will even ask the Queen to help you”
She was actually shivering in fear and not because of the cold!
Then the animal looked around, and with a puzzled look now, turned to Lessie and spoke,
“Where am I? Where is this place? This is not my home. This is not where I am supposed to be!”
In a shivering voice, Lessie answered,
“I’m not sure myself Sir. I asked the Queen earlier but I got no answer from her. All she did was to give me good food with the promise of allowing me to rest before I continue my journey.”
The brown wolf sat on its hind limb, looked at Lessie, shook his head as if in pity and said,
“Let me explain you brave and intelligent girl!” The wolf answered with sarcasm in his voice.
“My home is the world where there were brown leaves on the ground, where you were sucked into this world by the mirror in the house. “
Then he continued.
“The Queen that you kept on mentioning is actually an evil witch. You see I found out about her evil plan to change this world into a very cold wintry world.
There would be no trees, no flowers and no sunshine! Little animals and insects would have no chance to survive.  I was planning to stop her because I know her weakness. But unfortunately an animal, a wolf actually, told her about me.
So she cursed me to be a brown sweater and kept me in the wardrobe with no chance of escape – until you came along.
 I must thank you for taking me out of that dark cupboard. Only a human can expel the spell that was cursed on me. “
Looking at her, the wolf spoke in a quiet but serious voice,
“My dear girl, only you can change everything back to its normal condition in this world.  Yes, you, you young brave girl!
 Are you willing to help me?” urged the wolf.
Eagerly, Lessie answered,
“Of course Sir. Tell me what do I have to do?”
“Good” replied the wolf, “Come, we are running out of time. There’s only 24 hours left for us to do what we have to and change the world and let the seasons go back to normal! Now bring me to the Queen’s room and let us study her plans to destroy us.”
“Yes sir. Follow me”, she replied, and the two prepared to move.

No comments:

Post a Comment